St Andrew’s church improved by the building of the stone square tower.
The Earl of Lancaster granted a weekly market and two annual fairs at Burton upon Stather
The third period of construction of St Andrew’s church. Stocks were built to “punish unruly artisans”. At the south end of Burton upon Stather is Stocks Hill – thereby telling
its own tale.
Burton was occupied by the Royalists to protect any water borne attack on Gainsborough. Parliament decided to take action and a force left Hull with 1000 horse and foot, which landed near Burton,
while several small vessels armed with cannon, advanced up the Trent and attacked the Royalist forces at Burton. The combined land and river attack overwhelmed the Royalists and the commander was obliged
A new roof was placed on the tower of St Andrew’s church
As a result of the bursting of the flood banks, all the low lands adjacent to Burton were flooded. The flood extended from Torksey to the lower parts of Lincoln.
A severe explosion took place on board a vessel laden with gunpowder, and much damage was done.